With the darker nights drawing in, we historically see an increase in Burglaries at this time of year. With this in mind, we would like to take the time to offer you some security advice.
• If you are leaving your home during the hours of darkness, please leave a light on. We recommend using a light timer switch, along with a low energy bulb in a lamp, which can be set to come on and go off at a time which suits you. This makes it appear that someone is home. Burglars are usually opportunists and patrol areas. So don’t let your home be their target.
• If you are going away, ask a neighbour to use your driveway if it is going to be vacant. This makes it appear that someone is coming and going.
• If you buy high value items, or you receive any for Christmas, don’t leave the empty boxes outside your home as this advertises what you have inside your property.
• Make sure you key lock your door, not just pull it shut.
• If you have an alarm, ensure it is set when you are not in your property.
• Consider installing CCTV.
• We recommend installing sensor security lights which come on when someone walks onto your property.
• If you have a keyless vehicle, please ensure the key is kept in a signal blocking box or pouch.
• Be vigilant. If you note a suspicious person or vehicle, report it. It may seem like a small piece of information, however it may be the missing piece of our jigsaw.
If you would like to speak with the team, or have any concerns, please email us on the below email address.
The Wing and District Neighbourhood Policing Team