This is a Neighbourhood Alert from Amanda Oak, Crime Reduction & Prevention Advisor for Aylesbury Vale.
Following a recent spate of catalytic converter thefts from motor vehicles Police are encouraging vehicle owners to take action to protect their vehicles.
The following advice is given;
- Where possible, park in your garage
- Alternatively try to park in a location that restricts access underneath your vehicle
- Consider security lighting if not already fitted
- If your catalytic converter is ‘bolt on,’ you can have the bolts welded shut
- Consider the installation of CCTV to protect your vehicle
- Identify/etch your converter with a unique serial number and advertise that the vehicle has been protected with window stickers
- Consider the installation of a physical security device to the catalytic converter
Details of approved marking and security companies and products can be found at www.securedbydesign.com under vehicle security.
Anyone with any information on this type of crime should contact the Police via the 24-hour Police Enquiry Centre on 101. If you don’t want to speak directly to the police, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org No personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you will not go to court.